My favorite gifts are essential oils. Not only does it smell good, but it has that therapeutic effect (which is great for meditation). But why does essential oil work so well? From trying out multiple natural remedies, here’s why I believe a small ounce of oil can have some positive benefits.
What Are Essential Oils?
If you’re new the the natural remedies world, essential oils are aromatic, volatile components derived from plants. These highly concentrated essences are extracted from a variety of plant parts, including the bark, stems, seeds, roots, and flowers. A single oil can contain more than 100 different chemical components, each of which has a specific therapeutic property.
How It Impacts Health
The oils can stimulate the limbic system which is associated with regulating our emotions, behavior, and memory. For people seeking for its aromatherapy effects, some people claim it can treat anxiety and stress. However, there’s no concrete studies to confirm this. On the other hand, there has been some evidence that certain types of essential oils have health benefits. And here are some that may boost your mood:
My Top 5 Picks
- Bergamot – Rich in bergamot polyphenols. Polyphenols have strong antioxidant effects that combat chronic diseases.
- Lavender – Smelling lavender has been linked with enhanced sleep. The oil promotes relaxation before bed.
- Chamomile – It relaxes the nerves and soothes the nervous system, therefore helping you sleep better.
- Ylang-ylang – Not only does it promote relaxation, but itmay be of some benefit to people with high blood pressure.
- Rosemary – May help reduce inflammation and improve blood circulation
Before trying out essential oils, I highly recommend you to consult with a doctor. You’ll never know whether you may have an allergic reaction to any of these fragrances. Once you get the approval from your doctor, you can also see a aromatherapist to help you choose the right essential oil that works with your body.